Take the time now to plan your installation – it will save you more time down the road!
When you ordered COMPUSHIFT II, you had to choose from one (1) of three (3) Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) systems:
- The AccuLink TPS for vehicles with Edelbrock AFB, Holley and Rochester Quadrajet carburetors; or
- A wiring harness for Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) vehicles that have their own TPS; or
- A Cable Operated TPS for all other engines, including older diesel engines
NOTE: Please contact your distributor or HGM headquarters right away if you’re missing the required part(s) for your specific TPS system. Before starting, we highly recommend reading all of these instructions. Think through and plan your approach. It will pay off!
Failure to follow all instructions may cause damage to COMPUSHIFT II, void its warranty, or damage to your vehicle.
COMPUSHIFT II cannot properly operate a malfunctioning transmission, and a malfunctioning transmission may damage COMPUSHIFT II and void your warranty.
Your transmission must be properly installed and in good mechanical condition before using COMPUSHIFT II. A qualified transmission repair shop can inspect, clean, install and/or rebuild your transmission as required. If there are any questions about the condition or type of transmission, please contact a qualified transmission repair facility, HGM Headquarters, or one of our distributors for a recommendation.
Find your transmission from the list below and review these specific tips:
- Installation Notes for GM 4L80E / 4L60E Series
- Installation Notes for Ford AODE / 4R70W / 4R100 / E4OD
Prior to installation, you’ll also need to decide:
- Where to mount your COMPUSHIFT II Controller.
- Where to install the firewall grommets for your wiring harnesses.
- How to route the wiring harnesses to the engine and transmission.
- COMPUSHIFT II can provide an electronic signal to operate an electronic speedometer.
- COMPUSHIFT II also provides a signal that duplicates the speed sensor (TOSS) in your transmission. This can be used to run an original in-dash speedometer, and eliminates the need for dual speed sensors.
- Refer to the COMPUSHIFT II Quick Install Guide, also included in the packaging, to get an overview of all the components.
Tools You Will Need
- No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
- 1/8” or 3/16” flat blade screwdrivers
- Drill and small drill bit assortment
- Socket / open-end wrench assortment
- Wire cutters / wire stripping pliers
- Soldering iron and solder or wire crimping pliers
Tools You May Need
Depending on the installation, you may also need:
- Tin snips
- Center punch
- Sheet metal tools
- Insulating tape
- Wire spade lugs
- Wire crimp connectors
- 1.1875” and 1.625” hole saw or chassis punch