Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Cummins R2.8 CM2220
The Cummins R.28 CM2220 engine package provides J1939 communication over CAN bus which is compatible with the COMPUSHIFT controllers.
Wiring to the CAN bus can be difficult because Cummins hasn't provided a connector for it.
The standard CAN bus connectivity kit HGM provides for the CS3 has a CAN bus T and terminator at the end. The Cummins loom has two termination resistors provided already, one at the engine side in the engine compartment, and one at the gauge side, in the vehicle. HGM recommends removing one of these resistors and connecting the provided HGM twisted pair leads there using solder or crimp splices.
6. Terminating Resistor
Making The Connection
Cut the terminating resistor from one end of the Cummins loom. Connect the HGM provided harness as follows in place of the resistor.
Cummins ECU Pin
COMPUSHIFT Controller Parameter Settings
Vehicle Settings > Engine Type
J1939 High Speed Diesel
Network Settings > CAN Bus 1 Baud Rate
You can diagnose CAN bus problems by going to Diagnostics / Network Diagnostics on the CS Setup App.
CAN 1 Receive Count should be steadily increasing when the ECU’s are communicating correctly.
The error counts should always be 0.
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Link G4+ ECU
- HGM CAN Bus Messaging
- Using and Working with CAN Bus
- How to Modify A CAN Bus Network
- Connectors Used In CAN Networks
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Edelbrock ProFlo 4
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Haltech Elite or Haltech Platinum
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Cummins R2.8 CM2220
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Chrysler HEMI Crate Engine
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Holley Sniper EFI or Holley TerminatorX
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to MAST Motorsports ECU's
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Emtron
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Holley EFI / Racepak
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to ECUMASTER EMU Black
- Connecting COMPUSHIFT to Megasquirt